Welcome to Week 6! This week we will continue our study of Numerical Integration. We will move beyond the Newton-Cotes quadrature, which relies on weights that are distributed equally along an interval, and see what happens when we allow to optimize the location of weights. This leads us to the concept of Gauss Quadrature.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of the week you should be able to:
- explain the idea of Gauss Quadrature and its benefits and drawbacks
- apply Gauss quadrature in small examples
Tasks and Materials
- Lecture 11 will be available as video recorcing on the Lectures page.
- The fifth problem sheet is available and will be discussed this week, please have a look at it before class! Solutions to the previous problem sheet have been provided.
- Information on the midterm test is provided, including a list of important topics and problems. There is also a mock midterm test for you to practice!